Low Carb Lime Pie
Low Carb Lime Pie
There is something about lime pies that I just love. It just tops the bill in all areas. Thus, this easy, creamy and zingy low carb lime pie will have you scream “more, please!” from the very first bite. I promise, this cake creation will become a staple for summer entertaining.
Low-carb Lime Pie
Recipe Difficulty Level: Average
Recipe Type: Dessert
Here’s what you will need to make this lime pie*:
- 80g Butter at room temperature
- 125g shredded coconut
- 115g almond flour
- 150g sweetener (e.g. erythritol)
- 1 egg
- 6 leaves of gelatin
- 120ml lime juice
- 100ml water
- 300g cream cheese
- 300ml heavy cream
- zest of 1-2 limes
And here’s how you make this delicious lime pie:
- Start by greasing the pie pan and preheating the oven to 160° fan.
- In a food processor, mix 100g of shredded coconut (you’ll need the rest later to decorate the cake), the butter, almond flour, 70g erythritol and egg together and then tip into the pie pan. Use a glass to press onto the base. Bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown and let cool completely.
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water. Then mix the lime juice with 100ml water. Pour half of this lime water into a pot and heat. Add 80g erythritol and stir until the sweetener has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat. Gently squeeze the gelatin leaves to remove any excess water and add to the medium hot lime water. Stir again until dissolved and then, finally, add the other half of the lime water. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, soften the cream cheese. Add 3 tbsp of it to the lime water and stir again until smooth. Slowly add this mixture to the cream cheese in a thin stream while whisking continuously. Let the cream rest in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, whip the heavy cream. Take the cream cheese lime mix out of the fridge and then gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Now pour the cream onto the baked pie base and put the pie pan back in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Ideally, you’d let it cool over night.
- (On the next day) Roast the rest of the shredded coconut until golden brown and let cool on a plate. Take the pie out of the fridge, remove from the pie pan and decorate it with the shredded coconut and lime zest.
- Enjoy a slice or two!
Let me tell you, this lime pie tastes delicious. I will now let the pictures do the talking…
To make this lime pie, you have to follow quite a few steps. But the result is a gorgeous looking and tasty pie! Just stand back, admire and then indulge.