Recently, when I scrolled through Instagram, I found this amazing picture of an asparagus tarte flambée. Inspired by this dish, I set my mind on recreating it, but, of course, I made it low carb. If you like tarte flambée and asparagus, then please continue reading. You’ll find an utterly delicious recipe for a low carb flatbread below.
And here’s what you will need to serve 2 – 3:
- 150g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 80g almond flour
- 40g cream cheese
- 10g butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
Any toppings would be fine, really, but for this low carb flatbread we used:
- ricotta cheese
- green asparagus
- finely chopped mint leaves
- lemon zest
- coarse sea salt
- parmesan cheese
To make this low carb flatbread just follow these 8 simple steps:
- Start by preheating the oven to 220°.
- In a pot mix together the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, butter, cream cheese and salt and place the pot in the oven for a few minutes until the mixture starts to melt. This might be faster in a microwave but we don’t have one.
- Once your cheese mixture is warm take it out of the oven, mix in the egg and start kneading to make a cheesy dough.
- Place the dough on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and shape your bread before baking.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- In the meantime, peel the asparagus stems and then steam them for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the oven and let it cool for a bit.
- Once cool, spread ricotta on the keto flatbread, add the asparagus stems, capers, pesto, chopped mint leaves, lemon zest and salt.
And then just grate some parmesan cheese over your slice.
And by grating lemon zest over the keto flatbread you’ll add intense flavour. It’s just so good.
I can’t wait to make this tarte flambée with other toppings. I’m thinking of grilled figs and goat’s cheese. What would you pick?