Due to an unusual cold weather spell in mid-March we were craving something hot and spicy the other night. Thus, a big bowl of Mexican low-carb chili and freshly baked ‘cornbread’ seemed to be the answer. The best part, it’s a simple but truly delicious recipe.
And here’s what you will need to serve 2.
- 300g ground beef
- 120g passata
- 70g beef stock
- 30g chopped celery
- 30g chopped bell pepper
- 20g chopped shallots
- 1tsp olive oil
- garlic powder, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste
The original recipe is from here, however, I adapted it to our taste.
Any toppings would be fine, really, but we used the following to spice it up:
- chopped scallions
- grated cheese
- a dollop of sour cream
- a tbsp of sweet corn kernels
- sliced avocado
- sliced bell pepper
- some more chipotle powder
To make this utterly tasty low-carb chili, just follow these 6 simple steps:
- In a pot heat olive oil, add shallots and celery and cook until soft and golden brown
- Remove shallots and celery from the pan and set aside
- Add beef and spices to the same pot and roast until cooked through
- Pour in beef stock and passata, reduce heat and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes
- Add celery, onions and the chopped bell pepper to mixture and let it cook a few more minutes
- Finally, spoon your chili onto a plate, garnish and serve
To make this ‘bowl of comfort’ even more satisfying, we decided to bake some low-carb and gluten-free cornbread as well. Just look at these gorgeous mini cornbread loaves. Don’t they look fantastic?
To make 6 low-carb ‘cornbread’ loaves, you’ll need:
- 130g almond flour
- 110g sour cream
- 60g golden flaxseed meal
- 50g thinly chopped red bell pepper
- 40g grated cheddar
- 40g butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of chili powder
- 7 drops of liquid stevia
- green bell pepper or jalapeños to garnish
And here’s how you make them:
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and melt the butter
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together the sour cream, the eggs, liquid stevia and slowly drizzle in the melted butter in a thin stream while whisking continuously
- Add dry ingredients, one third at a time
- Fold in the cheddar and the red bell pepper
- Divide the mixture evenly among the baking moulds and, finally, garnish the mini loaves with slices of green bell pepper
- Bake them for about 20 minutes until golden brown
The original recipe is from here but, again, I made some slight changes.
Taking the preparation time in to account, this super easy and really delicious low-carb chili could be on your table in about 30-35 minutes.
It’s extra MEXellent when served with still warm, fresh out of the oven cornbread. Enjoy!