Usually, my go-to breakfast is always a healthy option, such as a bowl of crunchy granola or creamy coconut porridge. Sometimes, however, I crave something more spicy and tangy. And for exactly these mornings I now have the perfect recipe: low-carb breakfast tortillas.
- 240ml lukewarm water
- 50g coconut flour
- 10g psyllium husk
- 5g baking powder
- salt to taste
- Cajun seasoning (we use “Spicy Cajun” by Sal de Ibiza)
What I like most about these tortillas is that you can garnish them as you please. We used:
- heirloom tomatoes
- diced avocados
- crispy bacon
- cream cheese
- fried eggs
- finely grated cheddar cheese
- Sriracha sauce
- lime juice
And here’s how you make 6 low-carb breakfast tortillas:
- Combine all dry ingredients and slowly add the liquid while you start kneading to make the dough.
- Let your dough rest for a bit.
- Get your tortilla press ready and cut out parchment paper circles (you will want to press the individual tortillas between two sheets of parchment paper).
- Heat a pan and then divide the dough into about 6 equal portions depending on the size of your tortilla press and your preferred thickness. Our tortilla press is rather small (it makes 6-inch tortillas) and thus this recipe yields 6 Mexican flat breads.
- Now press your tortillas.
- Finally, bake the tortillas on each side until lightly toasted but be careful, coconut flour burns quickly.
Have you had breakfast tortillas before? If not, don’t waste any time! Make them this weekend and thank me later.
As mentioned above, they can be topped with anything really. So get creative. I guess these tortillas would be just as delicious with scrambled eggs or goat’s cheese. Mhhh.
I’m sure you’ll love these hearty and satisfying breakfast tortillas!
And if you’ve made it this far, please let me know what you have for breakfast on a daily basis as one can never have too many breakfast recipe ideas. Thank you!